Wee Kim Wee Challenge (Preliminary Round)
November 3 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dear Guide Guiders,
For the first time since the pandemic, we are pleased to bring back the Wee Kim Wee Challenge Shield 2023!
President Wee Kim Wee presented Girl Guides Singapore with a shield bearing the Istana’s Coat of Arms in 1994 just before he ended his final term. This Challenge was held on a biennial basis and has seen umpteen Girl Guides through a variety of challenges—each challenging them to exercise creative and critical thinking skills.
The Wee Kim Wee Challenge was revived in 2007 challenging Guides to showcase their culinary skills and present their dishes creatively. The dishes originate from Ms Wee Eng Hwa’s Cooking For The President Cookbook.
The champion will have their school name carved into the Shield and be able to display the shield in their schools for 2 years!
We are now inviting Guide Units to participate in the Preliminary Rounds.
The preliminary rounds will be conducted by Division level on the Friday, 3 November at Camp Christine.
The top 3 Units from each Division will then compete in the grand finals on 11 November 2023.
Please see below for more details
Theme: Our World, Our Peaceful Future
Date: 3 November 2023, Friday
Time: 8.30am – 5pm
Morning Slot (North & West Division)
- 8.30am – 1pm
Afternoon Slot (East & South Division)
- 12.30pm – 5pm
Venue: Camp Christine (71 Jalan Bahtera Singapore 719922)
Fees: $20 / Team
If interested, please register here.
- Preliminary Competition.
- Each team will be comprising of 3 Guides and 1 accompanying Guider / Adult Leader.
- Each division has only 10 slots and is based on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Each school can only send 1 team.
- All equipment will be required to be brought by the participating school.
- 2 portable gas stoves allowed
- Induction / ovens etc will not be allowed.
- The top 3 winning teams will proceed to the final round on Saturday 11 November 2023. There will be no additional course fees incurred.
Culinary Competition & Presentation
- There will be 3 recipes that are given from the original Wee Kim Wee Cooking For President Cookbook. See WKW 2023 Recipes.
- Aligned with the theme, each team will be required to adapt 2 of the 3 given recipes to a plant-based / vegetarian / vegan versions. No meat and alcohol should be used in the cooking and ingredients of the dish and all ingredents used should be halal-certified.
- Each team will be given 2 hours to cook the 2 dishes and plate them for the competition.
- Each dish should be cooked with the intention to serve 2 persons.
- After plating, the team will then be required to present to the judges on their dishes, giving a brief introduction about its relevance to the theme and/or any other significance.
Teams will be judged based on the following criteria below.
- Relevance to theme of sustainability (plant-based / vegetarian / vegan products)
- Taste of food (Aroma, Taste, Texture)
- Presentation (Plating and decoration & oral presentation)
- Originality & Creativity
- Display of Teamwork
Date: 11 November 2023, Saturday
Venue: Camp Christine (71 Jalan Bahtera SIngapore 719922)
Time: 8am – 1.30pm
For Those Taking HQ Bus:
- 8am: Report at Guide House
For Those Reporting To Camp Christine Directly
- 8.45am: Camp Christine
Culinary Competition & Presentation
Only applicable for the top 12 teams from the Divisions.
The challenge for the finals will be revealed on the day itself. No pre-preparation or training is required. All ingredients will also be provided by HQ.
- Winning teams from Round 1 will now include 2 Brownies who will assist in preparing the beverage.
- Each team to bring their own equipment and decorations, including plates, utensils, cutlery, wok etc.
- Each team will be given 2 hours to prepare the dishes and plate them for final judging.
Should you have any queries, please email Jasmine at email@example.com.
Ms Ong Zeng Zi
Guide Branch Commissioner